One of my new favorite things to do with my friends is cook! Even when we were in high school we would occasionally host potlucks or parties and it was always so much fun to cook and bring food for everyone to eat. But cooking- and not just eating- together is a fun activity in its own right.
I remember meeting up with a few of my friends not too long ago, and we kind of idled and made small talk trying to come up with something fun to do. Did we want to go to the mall? It was kind of far away. Did we want to go to the boba tea place? Nah, we always go there. We fiddled with the idea of going out to eat, but then decided- why not cook for ourselves? It was a rather exciting thought, and we got to work.
First we had to decide what to make. We settled on some sort of pasta with shrimp, because a) we all liked shrimp and b) pasta seemed like a safe venture. We quickly went to the grocery store to pick up a few ingredients and then got cookin’.
Given that I’m writing a blog post about it, it was a success! It made for the perfect lunch- it was light and flavorful. But more than enjoying a delicious lunch, it was a precious memory filled with laughs that I shared with friends 🙂
So grab a friend and get cookin’!
Shrimp & Zucchini Pasta Recipe (adapted from Italian Food Fever)
- 1 lb pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 small zucchinis, sliced into rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- dried basil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil on medium heat and brown the zucchini rounds in it, turning them so they’re lightly browned on both sides
- Remove zucchini from pan/skillet and set aside.
- Boil water and cook pasta according to package instructions
- Cook the garlic over medium for 1-2 minutes in the same pan that you used with the zucchini
- Add cherry tomatoes, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add shrimp. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring until the shrimp is cooked through
- Add zucchini and cook for another minute.
- Season with basil, red chili powder, salt & pepper.
- Place the shrimp & zucchini concoction in a serving bowl, and drain pasta and place in another serving bowl
- Top the pasta in your individual plate with the shrimp & zucchini concoction and enjoy!