Are your one of those people who buys a lot of fruit only to forget about them until they start to rot? I am guilty of this-especially with bananas! I hate when that happens! Instead of tossing your overripe fruit, why not cook with it? For these coconut-banana fritters, overripe bananas are necessary!
These fritters are sweet (but not too sweet) and are filled with banana flavor! I love coconut, so I added desiccated coconut to the batter as well, but if you don’t have any you can just the double the amount of flour and make plain banana fritters. I enjoyed these hot with a serving of cold vanilla ice cream and topped it off with some syrup and sweetened shredded coconut! It really hit the spot.
So let’s get to it. Gather your ingredients.
Add brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract along with your overripe bananas in a bowl.
Proceed to mash your bananas and then add flour and desiccated coconut.
It should look something like this…kind of like…baby food. Kind of nastier than baby food, actually. BUT the end result is delicious, so who cares what the batter looks like, right?!
Next heat up some oil in a pan. I ended up adding more oil to cover the entire pan.
Carefully spoon batter into the heated pan and watch it sIzZle.
Flip after about a minute. (And right about now your kitchen will be filled with a very nice aroma.)
Wait another minute or so before removing from the pan, making sure both sides are browned, and place your hot fritters on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. (Your kitchen is still smelling nice.)
Dust your coconut-banana fritters with some powdered sugar. (I just threw some granulated sugar in a coffee grinder, and voila! instant powdered sugar.)
These babies taste so good. Serve them hot. Along with some vanilla ice cream. Drizzled with syrup. And sprinkled with shredded coconut. Tooooo good.
So treat yourself! And hey it has bananas so it’s sort of healthy…right?
Coconut-Banana Fritters Recipe (adapted from Cook Like A Jamaican)
- 3 small, very ripe bananas
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tb brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tb desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tb all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar
- optional: syrup, shredded coconut, and vanilla ice cream
- Mash bananas together with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add in desiccated coconut and flour, mixing to form a batter
- Heat oil in a pan. Spoon batter into the pan. Fry for about a minute on each side until brown.
- Drain fritters on a paper towel.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve hot.
- optional: serve with vanilla ice cream, drizzle with syrup and sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
Check out the Recipe Index for more delicious recipes!